Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Love Across the Ocean

Here is a short scene I wrote for my Fiction 101 class. We were supposed to come up with an interesting proposal scene, and this is what I ended up with. I may eventually turn it into a full length story.

-

“Aaron!” Stephanie yelled happily into the phone.

“Sweetheart! I miss you so much! It’s good to hear your voice!” He said.

“What’s going on? Are you safe?” She asked.

“Yes, for now. I think they have stopped bombing for the night. We had a few close ones tonight, a little too close for my comfort. Jimmy nearly shat his pants twice!” Aaron managed a slight chuckle at the memory of seeing his camera man stumble at the sound of the mortars as he filmed. Aaron had been a BBC reporter for ten years, mostly on location. He liked to be in the middle of the action, he felt it was his duty to show the gritty reality of war to the viewers at home.

“Baby, I miss you! You have to stay safe for me,” Stephanie urged him. She was nearly seven thousand miles away, on the other side of the globe, safe at home in the Washington DC apartment that had both of their names on the lease, even though he was barely there. Most of the time, she was in London at his flat. A long distance relationship was difficult, but theirs had survived over a year already. She felt helpless watching the BBC every night, waiting for his report to come on so she could read his eyes. The first time they met, he had lied to her, telling her he was a business man on holiday. His excuse was that he didn’t want to scare her off.

“We are staying safe, I promise. Did you see my report yesterday?” He asked.

“Yes, I did. I’ve been recording everything for when you get back,” she said.

“What did you want to talk to me about? In your message you said you wanted to talk about something.”

Stephanie shifted uncomfortably to her other foot and twirled her hair. “Well, I have some good news...”

“Did you get that job at the museum in New York? That’s wonderful, darling!”

“No, that’s not it,” she took a deep breath, “I’m pregnant, Aaron.”

Just then there was a loud noise and the line went dead. Stephanie’s heart leapt into her throat as she stared in disbelief at the phone in her hand. She put it on the receiver and waited, her heart pounding loudly in her ears. Perhaps their call got disconnected. After a minute, that felt more like an hour, it rang.

“Aaron?!” She choked desperately into the phone. Her throat was dry.

“Yes, Steph! God, I’m sorry! They’re bombing again, it cut the phone lines. I’m on my cell now.”

She cleared her throat. “Did you hear what I said before it cut off?”

“You got the job?” He asked.

“No, honey, I’m pregnant!” She said.

There was silence for a moment, followed by a loud “Woo hoo! Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“Woo hoo! Guys, I’m going to be a father!” she heard him tell his team mates. He was laughing.

“Marry me, Steph!” He shouted joyfully into the phone.

“Marry you?” She smiled, giddy at the thought.

“Yes, God yes! Marry me! I love you!” He shouted.

She laughed, tears coming to her eyes. “Yes, yes, yes!” She imagined him jumping up and down just as she was doing there in her living room.

“Bugger, they’re bombing again! Can you hear me?” Aaron asked.

“Yes, Aaron, you get on the next plane home!” Stephanie told him.

“I will. Oh, honey, we’re having a baby! I love you!”

“Get home!” She yelled into the phone, with a smile on her face.

“I’m on my way!”

No comments:

Post a Comment